Whenever I am looking for a quick, delicious bite to eat at the park with a kick, I go to Border Burrito on International Street. Since we couldn’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo at the park with flavorful food and refreshing drinks, we brought the tastes of Border Burrito home. My favorite dish is Loaded Nachos piled high with cheese, jalapeños, sour cream, and of course Spicy Pico de Gallo. However, since it’s also Taco Tuesday we’re enjoying some tacos tonight for sure. And to add a little flavor to the menu, we begged Kings Dominion Executive Chef, Denis Callinan, for the recipe to make the amazing Spicy Pico de Gallo served at Border Burrito.
He delivered and took it one step further by adding a recipe for the refreshing Strawberry Margarita that can be found at the Grove Bar in Candy Apple Grove when visiting the park.
Spicy Pico de Gallo
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- ¼ onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves with tender stems, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle in Adobo in a can for added spice and smokiness
- Gently toss tomatoes, onion, jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, Chipotle in Adobo and lime juice in a small bowl; season with salt. Let sit, uncovered, to let flavors meld, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips or to add flavor to your favorite dish.
Strawberry Margarita (As served at The Grove Bar.)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt for rim
- lime zest for rim
- fresh lime slices and strawberries for garnish
- Add strawberries, tequila, triple sec, simple syrup and lime juice to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix salt and lime zest together in a shallow dish.
- Rub rim of 2 glasses with a lime slice and dip in lime salt.
- Fill glasses with ice and top with strawberry margaritas.
- Garnish with fresh lime slices and strawberries.
This pico was so simple to pull together and only took a few minutes. It sure does have a kick! If you want a little less heat in your pico de gallo, you could opt for fewer jalapeños. I was definitely taken back to my favorite restaurant at the park and dreaming of how delicious those Loaded Nachos would be. The Strawberry Margarita was extremely refreshing and perfect for the season. Although we’re celebrating at home for the time being, we can’t wait for you to enjoy these delicious treats at the park again soon.