You didn’t think we’d let Foodie Fridays disappear, did you? We’ve been inspired by the way many of you have been enjoying the memories of the park at home. While the park is temporarily closed, we’re helping bring the tastes to you! Executive Chef, Denis, and his family have been working up some delicious recipes and tutorials on bringing the family-favorite treats and tastes to your kitchen.
One thing you can’t miss when visiting the park – the surrounding smell of sweet, buttery funnel cakes. The best part, is chances are you have all of these ingredients in your home already! Maybe you make one for each member of the family or split one. How many fun unique toppings can you think of?
- 1 Cup pancake mix
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- Enough oil to fill about 1 inch deep in a frying pan
- Toppings of choice. Need some ideas?
- Whipped Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Sauce
- Ice Cream
- Deep frying pan (recommended), sauce pot (for smaller cakes) or large pot
- Cooking thermometer for up to 375
- Combine pancake mix, egg, water and oil in a mixing bowl. Combine until smooth.
- Pour about one inch of oil in frying pan (sauce pan or large pot would also work) and heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour batter into oil in a circular motion.
- Allow to cook in oil for 1 minute, carefully flipping in pan to cook for another minute on the other side.
- Remove from pan and top with your favorite toppings
- Snap a photo and share with us by tagging us @KingsDominionVA and using #KDFoodieFriday.
My family gave it a try and it got TWO thumbs up! We decorated ours with whipped cream (and lots of it ;) ) and candies we had on hand. While I think I need to perfect my swirling techniques, the treat brought me right back to some of our favorite memories at the park.
Let’s see yours! Share your funnel cake creations using #KDFoodieFriday and tagging us on social.