2020 Live Entertainment Online Auditions
At this time we are not accepting new auditions. Please check back periodically for audition information for future positions.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Audition Information
- The minimum age for all Entertainment performers and technicians is 16. A limited number of positions for 15 year old applicants are available in the costumed character department.
- Employees will be paid only for shows completed, unless cancellation is due to adverse weather conditions or technical difficulties. During rehearsal periods, long hours and a 7-day work week for all personnel are generally required.
- WORKING HOURS: A musician/performer work day includes approximately 4-6 shows per day varying in length from 15 to 35 minutes each, plus any necessary rehearsals scheduled by the production staff. Working hours and days off vary according to show assignments. After the shows are open, technicians work approximately 48 hours per week, with shifts dependent upon theatre assignments. Costume Shop personnel work 7 days during production weeks until all of the shows are in, and then work approximately 48 hours per week. Peanuts Characters may be asked to perform at special functions as needed in addition to their regular work week.
- It is the responsibility of employees who use personal property as a part of their performance (musical instruments, strings, drum sticks, etc.) to maintain such property in good, usable, condition throughout the season. Entertainers should arrange for insurance coverage on such items as Kings Dominion is not responsible for loss or damage to personal instruments or equipment.
- Kings Dominion will furnish costumes, shoes, and a limited supply of socks/tights. Females will need to supply their own make-up; males will not require make-up during the regular season.
- Employees are responsible for their own travel arrangements to Kings Dominion as well as their own housing while here.
- To help maintain King Dominion’s public image, certain grooming standards have been established which apply to all employees. In particular for men: hair must be neatly trimmed and styled at all times, not to extend below the top of the collar, be over 2” in height, or cover more than one-third of the ear. Sideburns may not extend below the bottom of the earlobes and may not widen out. Beards and mustaches may be worn if maintained in a neat, trimmed manner. Males are not permitted to wear earrings of any kind. (Please refer to the website for more details.) Tattoos are also prohibited in certain locations on the body for both men and women.
- Schedules are published at the beginning of each season and cannot be altered for individual convenience (i.e. days off for weddings, graduation, etc.)
- Singers, Singers/Dancers, Dancers, Musicians: Starting at $540 per week.
- PEANUTS™ Characters, Character Escorts and Theatre Ushers: Starting at $9.25/hour
- Production Staff: Range from $480 to $562 per week.
Can't Make It to the Auditions? Submit a Video.
Video auditions may be sent via DVD to the mailing address below, or you may email us the link to your video reel at: email@example.com.
Those who are interested in auditioning in more than one area can send one video containing all audition/interview pieces on it.
Video Requirements for All Auditions
Applicants must be at least 16 years old before starting to work. Our season opens in late March and continues through October. Reporting dates range from mid-March to mid-June, with shows running through late August or early September. Some positions may include additional weekends through October.
Please include: Video, head shot, performance resume (with references) and cover letter stating your availability dates, up to date contact information, specific employment interest, and a detailed synopsis of video content. (These materials cannot be returned.)
At the beginning of your video, please give us a mini interview by stating your name, the city and state where you are from, a little bit about yourself, and your training and/or experience to give us an insight into your personality and character.
If applicable, please include any portion of past or current productions that show your performing experiences and training.
Video Requirements for a SINGING Audition
Prepare 2 vocal selections of varying styles, choosing music that is upbeat and positive. One of your selections may be Broadway piece, but please keep in mind that most of our shows consist of pop, country, and classic rock & roll. Please, NO A CAPPELLA, classical, or original compositions. Females: Please demonstrate a warm belt. Males: Please show vocal range.
Video Requirements for DANCING Auditions
Prepare approximately a 2-minute Jazz style combination. You may also include a second dance piece displaying your strongest style of dance. i.e. ballet, hip-hop, musical theatre, or any combination of styles.
In addition to the combinations, please execute any other floor movements that you do well. (i.e. turns, jumps, leaps, specialty moves). These do not have to be done to music.
Video Requirements for ACTING Auditions
Prepare a 30-second, comic monologue appropriate for a family-park atmosphere. Please also include any video you may have improvisational skills.
Video Requirements for INSTRUMENTAL Auditions
Please prepare 2 selections of varying styles, choosing music that is upbeat and positive. Prepare one pop, rock, or country piece and one piece that shows your technique.
Please, no highly progressive jazz or hard rock.
Limit videos to approximately two to three minutes.
Vocals are a plus! Please include a vocal selection if you sing. You may accompany yourself.
All of our instrumentalists play an active role in our shows – stage presence and personality are a must! Be sure to perform while playing on video.
Video Requirements for a KARAOKE DJ
Please send a video showing your personality. Remember, it should be appropriate for a family-style atmosphere.
Video Requirements for a PEANUTS(TM) COSTUME CHARACTER
Expand upon the mini-interview. Please include any experience you may have in costumed character work, dance, children’s theatre, and/or recreation. Also, include any experiences working with children.
Please keep in mind the following height requirements: You must be 4’ 6” – 5’ 2” (BFOQ). Those that do not meet these requirements can be considered for an escort or usher position.
Please mail audition materials to:
P.O. Box 2000
Doswell, VA 23047-2000
Or email to: