Live Entertainment Auditions
Kings Dominion is more than rollercoasters and rides, our Live Shows are just as thrilling and fun! Be a part of the big stage as we audition talented entertainers and technicians like you to light up the stage this season.
Singers, Dancers and Singer/Dancers
- Singers: Please prepare 2 vocal selections showing versatile styles - your best 16-32 bars of each. However, time may allow us to only hear a portion of your material, so start with the piece that shows you off the best.
- We are looking for singers with strong stage presence that can stylize appropriately. Females: please demonstrate a warm belt. Males: please show us your vocal range.
- One of your selections may be a Broadway piece, but please remember that most of the shows at Kings Dominion feature pop, country, and classic rock & roll. Choose your selections accordingly.
- You may bring your own accompanist or use ours, who will not transpose. All sheet music must be in your correct key. A standard CD player and a MP3 connector will also be provided.
- You MAY NOT sing a cappella.
- Singers MAY be asked to stay for a brief dance call, so dress to sing & bring movement-appropriate clothing. If we ask you to stay and dance, you will be given time to change.
- Dancers: Be prepared to learn a high-energy dance combination.
- Please provide a head shot & one page, typed resume with references detailing any performance experience, training, and up to date contact information.
Musicians and Singer/Musicians
- All instrumentalists must audition individually.
- Our musicians are active performers in our shows. Be sure to show your personality!
- Choose 2 selections of contrasting styles that demonstrate your versatility. (i.e. country, rock, pop.). Avoid highly progressive jazz & hard rock. Sight-reading may be requested.
- Drummers: We are looking for drummers that blend well. Be prepared to play a variety of styles (i.e. pop, rock, rudiments). Marching Bass and Snare will be provided at the auditions.
- Please demonstrate proficiency on any instruments you play!
- Vocals are a plus! If you can sing, please prepare a vocal selection; you may accompany yourself, if you would like.
Improvisational and Character Actors
Actors should prepare a 30-60 second comic, monologue appropriate for a family-park atmosphere. You may also be asked to improvise at the audition site. Please be sure to include any improvisation experience on your resume.
Kings Dominion features the PEANUTS(tm) family of characters. All applicants must be between 4'-6" and 5'-4". Previous experience in children's theatre, character costume performance, and related experience is helpful but not required. Must be physically able to handle the demands of working in a full body costume, including heat, limited visibility, and limited mobility.
Stage Managers and Technicians
We are looking for a professional stage manager with sound and lighting experience, audio technicians with live mixing and track experience, deck technicians with rigging experience & lighting technicians with a strong intelligent lighting or follow-spot background.
We are looking for the following:
- Technical Supervisors with advanced audio and lighting backgrounds.
- Stage Managers with great organizational skills.
- Live Audio Technicians with Stage Management and lighting experience.
- Deck Hands with rigging experience.
- Follow Spot Technicians willing to learn advanced lighting.
- Head Lighting Technicians with automated lighting experience & supervisory skills.
* ETC NET3 and show control experience a plus.
- Dedicated audio technicians with live band and singer mixing experience. Digital console experience is a plus.
- Dedicated Lighting/General Technician with LED & automated lighting experience.
- Technicians with prop development experience
What you'll receive:
- Gain experience on some of the industry’s most advanced equipment
- Be a part of a long running show with over 300 performances
- Gain valuable resume experience
- Make lifelong friends and network with industry professionals from around the world!
Stitchers and Costumer Shop Personnel
Tentative Employment Dates:
- Stitcher positions begin in late February/March and run through early September.
- Dresser positions begin in May and run through early September.
- Applicants who are unable to make these dates are encouraged to interview for replacement spots.
- Constructing the costumes for our Live Shows from February until mid-May
- Fitting and furnishing costumes from the first week in May until mid-June
- Keeping costumes laundered and repaired on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Keeping all shop equipment in good working order
- Costume Shop Supervisor — Qualifications include: skill & speed. Knowledge of standard sewing techniques required. Knowledge of pattern drafting, cutting, draping is helpful, but not required. Experience working in a theatrical costume shop is not required but is extremely helpful.
- Stitchers — Qualifications include: skill & speed. Knowledge of standard sewing techniques required. Experience working in a theatrical costume shop is not required but is extremely helpful.
- Dressers — Experience with Ice Shows or Musical Theatre, & experience with quick changes or full body costume characters is helpful but not necessary.
Costume Character Usher
Must enjoy working with children. Must also be self-motivated, enthusiastic and work well without constant supervision. Should be able to relate to children both as a teacher/authority figure and as a friend.
Positions are available for ushers who greet and assist guests at our various venues. Must be friendly, enthusiastic, and work well with others.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Audition Information
- The minimum age for all Entertainment performers and technicians is 16. A limited number of positions for 15 year old applicants are available in the costumed character department.
- Employees will be paid only for shows completed, unless cancellation is due to adverse weather conditions or technical difficulties. During rehearsal periods, long hours and a 7-day work week for all personnel are generally required.
- WORKING HOURS: A musician/performer work day includes approximately 4-6 shows per day varying in length from 15 to 35 minutes each, plus any necessary rehearsals scheduled by the production staff. Working hours and days off vary according to show assignments. After the shows are open, technicians work approximately 48 hours per week, with shifts dependent upon theatre assignments. Costume Shop personnel work 7 days during production weeks until all of the shows are in, and then work approximately 48 hours per week. Peanuts Characters may be asked to perform at special functions as needed in addition to their regular work week.
- It is the responsibility of employees who use personal property as a part of their performance (musical instruments, strings, drum sticks, etc.) to maintain such property in good, usable, condition throughout the season. Entertainers should arrange for insurance coverage on such items as Kings Dominion is not responsible for loss or damage to personal instruments or equipment.
- Kings Dominion will furnish costumes, shoes, and a limited supply of socks/tights. Females will need to supply their own make-up; males will not require make-up during the regular season.
- Employees are responsible for their own travel arrangements to Kings Dominion as well as their own housing while here.
- To help maintain King Dominion’s public image, certain grooming standards have been established which apply to all employees. In particular for men: hair must be neatly trimmed and styled at all times, not to extend below the top of the collar, be over 2” in height, or cover more than one-third of the ear. Sideburns may not extend below the bottom of the earlobes and may not widen out. Beards and mustaches may be worn if maintained in a neat, trimmed manner. Males are not permitted to wear earrings of any kind. (Please refer to the website for more details.) Tattoos are also prohibited in certain locations on the body for both men and women.
- Schedules are published at the beginning of each season and cannot be altered for individual convenience (i.e. days off for weddings, graduation, etc.)
- Singers, Singers/Dancers, Dancers, Musicians: Starting at $540 per week.
- Technical Staff and Stage Managers: Range from $432 to $562 per week.
- Costume Technicians and Costume Shop Staff: Starting at $432 per week.
- PEANUTS™ Characters, Character Escorts and Theatre Ushers: Starting at $8.25/hour
- Production Staff: Range from $480 to $562 per week.
We are scheduled to attend the 68th Annual Southeastern Theatre Conference to interview for technical positions for the 2017 season.
Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC)
March 1-5, 2017
Lexington Center in Lexington, KY
For More Information
Can't Make It to the Auditions? Submit a Video.
Video auditions may be sent via DVD to the mailing address below, or you may email us the link to your video reel at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those who are interested in auditioning in more than one area can send one video containing all audition/interview pieces on it.
Video Requirements for All Auditions
Applicants must be at least 16 years old before starting to work. Our season opens in late March and continues through October. Reporting dates range from mid-March to mid-June, with shows running through late August or early September. Some positions may include additional weekends through October.
Please include: Video, head shot, performance resume (with references) and cover letter stating your availability dates, up to date contact information, specific employment interest, and a detailed synopsis of video content. (These materials cannot be returned.)
At the beginning of your video, please give us a mini interview by stating your name, the city and state where you are from, a little bit about yourself, and your training and/or experience to give us an insight into your personality and character.
If applicable, please include any portion of past or current productions that show your performing experiences and training.
Video Requirements for a SINGING Audition
Prepare 2 vocal selections of varying styles, choosing music that is upbeat and positive. One of your selections may be Broadway piece, but please keep in mind that most of our shows consist of pop, country, and classic rock & roll. Please, NO A CAPPELLA, classical, or original compositions. Females: Please demonstrate a warm belt. Males: Please show vocal range.
Video Requirements for DANCING Auditions
Prepare approximately a 2-minute Jazz style combination. You may also include a second dance piece displaying your strongest style of dance. i.e. ballet, hip-hop, musical theatre, or any combination of styles.
In addition to the combinations, please execute any other floor movements that you do well. (i.e. turns, jumps, leaps, specialty moves). These do not have to be done to music.
Video Requirements for ACTING Auditions
Prepare a 30-second, comic monologue appropriate for a family-park atmosphere. Please also include any video you may have improvisational skills.
Video Requirements for INSTRUMENTAL Auditions
Please prepare 2 selections of varying styles, choosing music that is upbeat and positive. Prepare one pop, rock, or country piece and one piece that shows your technique.
Please, no highly progressive jazz or hard rock.
Limit videos to approximately two to three minutes.
Vocals are a plus! Please include a vocal selection if you sing. You may accompany yourself.
All of our instrumentalists play an active role in our shows – stage presence and personality are a must! Be sure to perform while playing on video.
Video Requirements for a KARAOKE DJ
Please send a video showing your personality. Remember, it should be appropriate for a family-style atmosphere.
Video Requirements for a PEANUTS(TM) COSTUME CHARACTER
Expand upon the mini-interview. Please include any experience you may have in costumed character work, dance, children’s theatre, and/or recreation. Also, include any experiences working with children.
Please keep in mind the following height requirements: You must be 4’ 6” – 5’ 2” (BFOQ). Those that do not meet these requirements can be considered for an escort or usher position.
Please mail audition materials to:
P.O. Box 2000
Doswell, VA 23047-2000
Or email to: