In honor of National Donut Day, we’re bringing an extra special sweet & savory treat to you! One of my favorite dishes from WinterFest was the Donut Burger at Blitzen’s Burgers. It’s the perfect combo that melts in your mouth with a burger patty, cheese and bacon served on a glazed donut.
This simple treat is a great way to celebrate National Donut Day for dinner.
INGREDIENTS (yield 4 double stacked servings)
- 4 Original Glazed Donuts from favorite store or restaurant (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups sweet onions (thinly sliced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 (3 ounce) burger patties
- 8 slices American cheese
- 2 strips of bacon, cooked
- Separate doughnut halves and set aside.
- Over medium-low heat, combine olive oil and butter in a sauce pan.
- Add onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add balsamic vinegar and cook for 20 minutes more.
- Cook each burger to desired temperature and top with cheese to melt.
- Place 2 patties on top of cut side of the doughnut, top with onions, bacon and lid of doughnut.
- Serve with your favorite condiments.